Circuit for Cisco Long Reach Ethernet

Pistone, Mike Mike.Pistone at msfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 31 20:05:22 UTC 2002

It is what telco's usually call a "dry-pair" or a "no-load pair".  You only
need 1 pair (2 wires) with nothing on it.  The key is that you don't want
the telco putting power on the line.  If you want to use their PBX
connection I think you need 2 pairs instead of 1 though.

I just tested LRE yesterday and the setup is very easy.  Assuming you have
pretty clean lines then you should have no problem getting it to work.  The
2924 XL-LRE is even smart enough to reverse the wires if you get tip and
ring swapped.

Mike
Mike Pistone
NASA - Russian Services Group