Data Center AC Issues

David VanHorn dvanhorn at cedar.net
Tue Sep 25 02:26:16 UTC 2001

At 10:18 PM 9/24/01 -0400, ainman at umich.edu wrote:

>Can anyone recommend an expert Troubleshooting/Design firm that has
>extensive experience with Data Center specifici AC issues?
>
>We have a strange problem (probably with the airflow/vents/arrangements) which
>has machines in various locations dying due to heat, when the ambient temp
>isn't above 90.

Are you monitoring your line voltage?
I've seen "normal" AC lines, in the US, anywhere from 70-140VAC.
Modern equipment use switcher power supplies, which draw more current as
the voltage goes lower.
Heat in the power supply is a function of current squared.
So, as the line voltage goes lower, the equipment gets hotter.
(paradoxical-seeming, ain't it?)

--
Dave's Engineering Page: http://www.dvanhorn.org

Got a need to read Bar codes?  http://www.barcodechip.com
Bi-directional read of UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-8, EAN-13, JAN, and Bookland, with
two or five digit supplemental codes, in an 8 pin chip, with NO external parts.