On Internet and social responsibility

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Sat Sep 15 22:10:08 UTC 2001

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, David Schwartz wrote:

> > I think you misunderstand what free speech is and means.
> > Freedom of speech
> > means the right to express those ideas you wish using that
> > which is yours to
> > use. It does not include the right to commandeer other people's presses.

> Common misconception that Freedom of Speech has anything to do
> with you or me and what we tell each other.

	Of course it does!!!

> Actually Freedom of Speech
> means freedom from governement censorship, and has nothing do with with
> U.S. Citizen to Citizen communications.

	What are you talking about? What would government censorship be other than
an attempt to control or limit U.S. Citizen to Citizen communications?! If
you have some definition of 'censorship' other than attempting to limit or
control what people can say to each other, I'd love to hear it.

> Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
> prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
> or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
> petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

	In other words, individuals are guaranteed the right to use what is theirs
to express those ideas they wish, which is exactly what I said.

	(If you were agreeing with me, ignore this. But it sounds like you are
disagreeing with me.)

	DS