end2end? (was: RE: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron-office.nl
Mon Sep 10 20:31:03 UTC 2001

In article <F5F3FBBFC94DD4118E4500D0B74A095F013E70E1 at EMAIL2>,
Hire, Ejay <Ejay.Hire at Broadslate.net> wrote:
>Using RFC 1918 space inside a network on transit segments that will be
>passing data but not generating it makes sense.

Only if the MTUs on all interfaces of the routers are the same.
Otherwise you might generate a ICMP size exceeded message that
will never reach the sender, breaking Path MTU Discovery.

Mike.
--
"I think...I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check."
	-- M.C. Escher (1898-1972)