ISP Filter Policies--Effect is what?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Tue May 8 18:58:09 UTC 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:
>

> > if you have a /16 why would it be broken down to /24? i would assume the
> > only reason you advertise /24 is because that is the size of your
> > assignment from the NIC, in which case you cannot advertise the /16.
> >
> > if you do own the /16 then yes of course you can advertise it.
>
> Stephen, you neglected to look at the big picture.  The "organization" has
> the /16 but has sites spread out all over the planet and has assigned
> /24's to them.  Additionally, they connect into the global net via diverse
> providers.

Ah, I got -snip- happy there :) in that case I would question the logic of
being given a large address block only to break it into pieces all over
the world.

I'd wonder why they dont take address space from a regional provider - if
its only /24 it cant be that mission critical for bgp and multihoming...

--
Stephen J. Wilcox
IP Services Manager, Opal Telecom