Search Engine Accountability (was RE: Reality Check)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 16 20:03:50 UTC 2001

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:36:31 PST, Karyn Ulriksen said:
> 	Search Engine requires a key certificate style license embeded in
> the html or website (whether it's internet centralized or just for the

And the key came from *where*?  And this would be different from the
current hassles of getting a PKI certificate *how*?

> search engine).  A "rating" and "type" is associated with the license for
> the type of site it is.  As the search engine crawls the site, if the
> license is gone... it doesn't get listed.  If the type and rating doesn't

Woo woo.. So I have to fork over $$$ to a company to publish stuff on the
web?  Or is this license "for free" - in which case it's probably worth
what you paid for it?

> match the information associated with the license data... it doesn't get

OK.. A .JPG of a man and a giraffe would probably be acceptable for all
ratings.  A .JPG of a man and a giraffe having sex would probably NOT be
acceptable.  How did you tell the difference?

> listed.  If the license certificate doesn't match the IP(s) associated with
> the certificate... it doesn't get listed.  Has anybody tried something like

Great.  I relocate my server to a new co-lo and I drop off the search engines
unless I fork out new money for a new license.  And if you don't think this
won't happen, I'll point you at all the companies that we currently license
software from who are *always* ready at the drop of a hat to ship us a new
license for a machine "because the CPU planar died and was replaced so the
hostid is now different".  Yeah.  We *never* have a problem getting new
licenses. ;)

> this before?

Umm.. there's PICS and other web rating systems already extant.

They've worked wonders, haven't they?

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech