Beer and Gear surprise

Ukyo Kuonji kawaii_iinazuke at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 01:01:06 UTC 2001

I, for one, HAVE organized a conference, and a rally.  I know of the hard,
often thankless, work that it takes to put together a successful conference.
  If a NANOG meeting ever came to my town (which I would love for my company
to host), I would gladly volunteer to pitch in.  Unfortunately, there isn't
much to do or see in this town, so I suspect that it wouldn't be a highly
attended conference.

I appreciate the hard work that everyone did to put on what I would consider
another successful NANOG.  I certainly enjoyed it, and will continue to go
to additional meetings, even if there is no "gear".

I only have an issue of expecting one thing, and getting quite another,
without warning or knowing about the true reason why.  It's like going to
McDonalds to get a meal and finding out your Big Mac is on a regular bun
instead of the sesame seed bun because the guy that cleaned the restrooms
took offence to all the seeds in the toilet.

Think of the people that went to NANOG like your kids.  You go get them a
Happy Meal only to find out that there is no surprise inside.  Your kids
still get to eat, and that was the important thing, but are still
disappointed that they didn't get their toy.

UK

---
Opinions in this email are the personal opinions of the author and are not
associated with author's employer.  This email account is a not the regular
email account of the author and is being used for the protection of the
employer.

On Wed, Feb 21, Vijay wrote:

The Merit people spend an incredible amount of time and effort doing this
conference so we (the spoiled brats) can get together face to face and
discuss our day jobs and instead of thanking them, we're whining up a
storm over some pieces of schwag?

Running something this large and running it this well is _hard_, folks.

If we had some ham, we could have a ham and cheese sandwich if we had some
cheese.

/vijay