AS2548... Do you care?

Christopher Johnston cjohnston at intermedia.com
Sun Aug 12 17:23:46 UTC 2001

On Sun, Aug 12 2001 at 03:15:58%P -0400, John Fraizer wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
>

> > This may sound odd, coming from me who is a halfway alarmist, but:
> >
> > 1) how is this really a 'problem'? Don't get me wrong, announcing a
> > reserved AS is as bad as announcing 10/8, but, what did it break? Is it
> > enough of a problem to spam nanog about it?
>

> > 2) Did you call/email/page/carrier-pidgeon Digex/ICI about this?
>
> 1) I don't consider my post SPAM or fluf or anything else other than
> operational content.  A well known and respected carrier is announcing a
> reserved AS.  It didn't break anything here but, the announcement wouldn't
> make it into anyones tables who was using 64620 in a confederation and as
> a result, it very well could be breaking something somewhere.  Beyond
> that, it doesn't set a very good example for others.  I guess I'll have to
> rethink my "lower AS = higher clue" theory.
>
> 2) It's not what it broke but, what's broken that is allowing it to happen
> to begin with.  It's fairly apparent that someone neglected to add 64620
> to a confederation statement. (And doesn't have anything in place to
> prevent leaking reserved AS's either.)

This has nothing to do with confederations. This was a misconfigured peer
that was a mistake anyone could have made. It was fixed and hopefully nobody
was hurt to badly by this error.

> 3) No.  I did not contact Digex/ICI directly because:
>
> a) I'm not a direct customer.
> b) I'm not a direct peer.
> c) The leak has shown up in the IPMA (http://www.merit.edu/ipma/)listings
> for the past 4 days and it's obvious that they're not monitoring IPMA or
> don't care.

I assure you we do care and we do try to keep up on the merit pages but
things can get hectic and things can get missed. I thank you for the
heads-up post that did in-fact lead to the problem solved. I frown upon
the technical speculation and the name bashing.

----
Christopher Johnston - cjohnston at intermedia.com
Manager, Tier III & Network Operations
Intermedia Business Internet