Canada - Land of ice and snow (was RE: California power ... unplugged)

ken harris. ken at boii.com
Mon Apr 30 05:16:16 UTC 2001

>I recall 3.2 million people losing power, some for over a month,
>a few years ago in Canada.  Canadians were importing and stealing
>backup generators from the states so fast, Customs Canada still
>doesn't know how many generators crossed the border.

sean.

that was a serious natural disaster. i mean if a tidal wave crushed
california, you wouldn't use it as a point of comparison.

for what its worth, i was in montreal the whole duration of the ice storm
and we got hit worse then anyone else .. i didn't lose power once.
it was all a matter of which trees froze, knocked over what powerlines
and the like. i even do recall having internet access.

when the "great earthquake" finally hits, we'll see how well those
seismically braced racks et al will hold up.

-ken harris.