Toronto bell canada central office fire

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Sun Jul 18 18:03:32 UTC 1999

nathan at robotics.NET (Nathan Stratton) writes:
>As a volunteer fire fighter I will agree with you on that one. I often
>wonder why more people don't sue for damage, I guess there is
>little they can do. Some people in fire fighters actually have fun
>cutting holes where they don't need cut or flooding places with water
>they know don't need it. Our department is very good, but many of them are
>not concerned with the property at all.

One of the lessons from the Los Angeles CO fire was the danger to
firefighters with fires in telecommunication facilities.  Fortunately
such fires are rare.  But that rarity means few departments have any
experience with such fires.  Hinsdale was a wake up call for the
telecommunications industry, L.A. was a wake up call for the fire
service.  Five years later, NFPA, AT&T and Telcordia (bellcore) are
still debating what should be done.  For the most part, the experience
has not yet reached down to either the local fire departments or the
people building data and telecommunication facilities.

http://www.nfpa.org/Research/summaries/los_angeles.html