Route Leaks

Sanjay Dani sanjay at professionals.com
Wed Oct 28 07:56:56 UTC 1998

> I'd like to propose a simple solution to the class of route leak we've
> recently seen.
> I'd like to encourage our peers to put a simple filter in place.  If you
> peer with AS
> 3561, please do not accept any route with AS 3561 in the path from
> either your
> customers or your other peers.

I feel almost silly to point out a simple solution, an extension
of the above, to the smart crowd here. But doesn't every one
at the very least filter routes from peers/customers to reject
ASes 701, 3561, 1, 1239 et al. (unless of course the peer is
one of them). Minimizes the damage right away. Of course, not
as tight as using routing registries. Has saved us a few
times.

Now that is a positive side to the industry with a handful
few huge, transit-free, players. Just watch the mergers
and acquisitions news to stay current :-)

--
Regards,
Sanjay.

Web Professionals, Inc.                Direct:  +1 408-863-4850
20111 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 145    Biz/NOC: +1 408-863-4848
Cupertino CA 95014 USA                 http://serverhosting.net