Discussion point: Telco quality?

Bill St. Arnaud bill.st.arnaud at canarie.ca
Fri Oct 9 12:28:08 UTC 1998

Paul:

Although the telcos talk a great deal about SONET rings and how reliable the
telco circuits are and so forth its is surprising how few major Internet
trunks are carried on SONET rings.  And yet the Internet manages to carry
on. Despite some local inconviences mot Internet users never notice these
outages which goes to show how resilient the Internet really is.

It begs the question then, if the Internet can work quite well today without
all the supposed telco 99.99999+, do we really need telco "reliability" -
SONET rings etc?

As you know it is our contention that you don't need it.  We believe that a
99.9999+ reliable Internet can be built without the underlying (supposedly
"relaible") telco infrastructure.

Bill

Bill St Arnaud
Director Network Projects