PPP over Ethernet?

Phillip Vandry vandry at Mlink.NET
Thu Jun 4 14:34:52 UTC 1998

> Nah, They never heard of virtual circuits.
>
> Seriously, PPP over IP is a way of building a cheap VPN. The thing is that
> SSH already does that job much better.

The SSH FAQ or docs or whatever mentions that there is a big problem with
this type of tunelling: If TCP traffic goes through the tunnel and
congestion is encountered, both the TCP traffic being tunelled and the
tunnel itself (which is a TCP connection) will retransmit, causing, at
the very least, a waste of bandwidth. Maybe other kinds of havoc
could result from this?

That is why I thought protocols like GRE which encapsulate one packet in
one packet were much better.

-Phil