More Sidgemore on per-bit pricing

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu Dec 10 01:57:41 UTC 1998

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 07:31:25PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> >can get my loop down from $300 to $150... when my router port is still
> >$1800.  Nice, yeah, but not what people mean when they blather about
> >"cheap bandwidth".  If it's _that_ cheap, it's running under completely
> >different assumptions than a standard T-1; viz: cable modems.
>
> Um, actually, I think think you can get DSLAM's for about $700 per port or
> less going by my recent informal surveys.
>
> Router ports have been way overpriced for a long time. They were overpriced
> when an AGS sold for 30K with a stack of ethernet, serial, and an fddi
> port.  Of course, back then the pricing model optimistically expected to
> sell only a few thousand. They got even more overpriced later, and now
> expect to sell hundreds of thousands.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you've misunderstood me.  :-)

I'm not talking about the card, I'm talking about my proportion of the
amount the guy I'm buying from has to pay for _his_ uplink.

Bandwidth Costs Money.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592