Announcing new route (What besides BGP?)

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Wed Nov 12 20:24:17 UTC 1997

We use both RIPE Data base and our own network data base to generate
STRICT filtering by IP prefixes for our peers and customers (except some
who are _trusted_ because they are too big or are our providers for the
european/USA connectivity.

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Gerald,
>
> I think there may be an issue of terms here.
>
> I believe that there is relatively little truly incorrect data in the
> RADB. By "incorrect", I mean data that would result in incorrect or
> missing routing.
>
> There is a fairly large amount of "obsolete" data that is virtually
> impossible to track down because it is abandoned. Routes that were
> transferred from the PRDB are especially likely to be obsolete, but I
> have stumbled on a number of routes registered to various organization
> and placed in the RADB when the organization either no longer exists
> or no longer is connected using that route.
>
> This is a less serious problem in that it never results in failed
> routing. It does have some slight security implications, but I don't
> see a really significant way to exploit these.
>
> The bottom line is that we (ESnet) has been using the IRR to generate
> portions of our router configuration for several years with very good
> results.
>
> And I still believe that record expiration will be needed some day
> because the database will accumulate abandoned data and continue to
> grow until things start to get un-manageable. I have no idea how close
> this is to happening, but I suspect that it is NOT near.
>
> In any case, I think we are in basic agreement.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman at es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)