how to protect name servers against cache corruption

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Wed Jul 30 13:21:18 UTC 1997

On Wed, Jul 30, 1997 at 01:57:07AM -0000, tqbf at smtp.enteract.com wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.970729213405.4111A-100000 at luna.moonstar.com>, you wrote:
> >Simply stating that there's a better way without Sending Code is a copout.
>
> I realize I'm dragging this on, and I apologize, but:
>
> It's totally valid to report a problem that affects the operations
> community without providing a fix. Knowledge of the fact that a problem
> exists is valuable, even without a cookbook resolution.
>
> In this case, a few people (some not on this list) would like the
> operations community to realize that there are, in fact, some very doable
> attacks that remain unaddressed by BIND 8.1.1.

Ahem.

Yes, reporting a problem you can't personally fix is acceptable.

Casting asparagus upon the design of code other people have written
because it has those problems, however, is another matter.  Given that
the author thereof is known to be on the list, it's tantamount to a
personal attack... which is off-topic, per point 6 of the AUP.  :-)

My turn: this is off-topic.  Please move it to bind-workers, or some
other acceptable forum.  (I don't mean you, Paul, I mean Messrs. Black
and Ptacek.)

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592