is there a market for this?

Andrew Bangs andrewb at demon.net
Wed Jul 23 14:47:21 UTC 1997

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> As for the other implication, although I personally don't run or
> intend to run networks using normal unix boxes as routers (and BTW,
> PCI bus covers Power-PC hardware, Alphas and soon Suns, too!), I know of
> organizations like Demon in the U.K. that run almost exclusively this
> way and seem to like it a lot.

UK and Netherlands :-)

They seem to work well as routers with ethernet, fast ethernet and
fddi, and we make quite a bit of use of the ZNYX multi-port ethernet
cards where we need higher port density.

We ended up buying a non-PC router when we wanted a HSSI connection
somewhere. Has anyone found a nice HSSI-PCI card that has support
in any of the BSD-a-likes ?

 Regards,
 Andrew
--
Andrew Bangs, Network Engineering Team Leader, Demon Internet Ltd
andrewb at demon.net    http://www.demon.net/   http://www.demon.nl/