Internic address allocation policy (fwd)

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Thu Nov 21 12:36:57 UTC 1996

> From: Bradley Dunn <bradley at dunn.org>
> > I do not know of any organization that would allow internal network information
> > to be made available to an outside party.  I think this ranks pretty
> > high up on any security policy.  It would probably not even be possible on
> > correctly secured network.  And on one that wasn't properly secured, you
> > would probably hear lots of complaints about scanning or searching that
> > network.
>
> If the internal network is that "top secret" it should be behind a
> firewall and using RFC 1918 space.

Yes.

Last year, when I was scanning the Class A's to determine number of
actually connected hosts, my service provider kept getting complaints
from so-called security folks at the affected companies.

Oh, and I found a lot of routing problems (loops, etc) which are really
aggravated when you hit them 255 times (each address in the range, all
of them looping)....

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com