NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Sat Dec 21 02:04:31 UTC 1996

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

> Except for one small problem, Unless you're _HUGE_ most NSP's (ie. MCI,
> sprint, uunet) don't give a flying fuck and won't spend the time and
> manhours it takes to track these things down. At one point one of our main
> machines was being synflooded on almost every port, mci refused to do a
> thing about it because it would 'take too long'.

Then sue MCI for denial of service. You will win in court because it is
trivial to show that the packets came into your network from MCI and that
MCI's employees could not and would not provide any information to you
that would indicate that these packets do not originate from MCI. Thus
they are not providing you the service that they contracted to provide.

Not everything has a technical solution.

Mind you, you might do better to be a bit more diplomatic and take up the
issue with MCI's management. Just keep in mind the basic principle that
MCI is responsible for the DoS traffic unless they are willing to identify
the source as somewhere other than MCI.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049