the Internet Backbone

William Allen Simpson bsimpson at morningstar.com
Fri Apr 5 15:32:57 UTC 1996

> From: Avi Freedman <freedman at netaxs.com>
> And they solicit our customers, sigh.
>
> And someone with 2 T1s to Sprint has been saying "We are *the* Internet
> Backbone in South Jersey".
>
> Everyone (of importance) agrees that in order to claim you're a backbone
> you have to (now, not a year ago) be connected to at least 2 public NAPs/MAEs
> and have at least one circuit that runs at DS3 or higher speed.

No, that is not correct.

A US Internet "backbone" is one which connects to ALL the NAP/MAEs in
the US.  Not just two.  All of them.

Everyone else is just a "regional", of one size or another.

If anyone solicits your customers saying otherwise, report them for
false advertising to the FTC, and sue the bastards.

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com