CIDR FAQ

Dave Siegel dsiegel at net99.net
Wed Aug 16 00:27:23 UTC 1995

> Ok, so you could not use a proxy server unless you Ogot some other NSP to
> set up a server also? Is this correct? I want to set up a MAE-East
> connection, I have a 4000 and only 16 megs or ram. Would I be able to set
> up a PC as a route server and not need 64 megs or ram in my router?

I have seen 2501's handle a full routing table with 16 MB's of RAM, and only
a single path, but I have some AGS+'s that have 16 that can't hold the
full table (it might just need an IOS upgrade)  I'm not too sure about
the 4000's abilities with 16Megs, but I have one with 32Megs that has full
routes, with 2 paths for each route.

As for the other NSP, it wouldn't make difference what they were running.  If
you were already peering with them, you'd have to have the NSP change the IP
address of their peer, as well as specify ebgp-multihop...  how many NSP's
would divulge in this experiment?  I don't know.  They'd have to trust you
with a pretty big stick.  If your Unix box is unstable, you can bet they'll
shut off peering without thinking twice.

Now, the idea would be to take routes from all the providers at Interconnect
A, take routes from your routers (maybe another gated box) at the other
Interconnect points B, C, D, & E, calculate the best route, let the box flap
when links go down, interconnects drop, whatever, and simply send the best
route to your little router.

Problem here is that a 4000 can't pump all that much traffic.  Using a PC as a
router would probably provide better performance than the 4000 (though not
more than a 4500, 4700, or 7000 series router)

Dave

--
Dave Siegel			Director of Engineering, Net99
http://www.webcity.com/		(602)249-1083 24x7 NOC line