20402 routing entries

Hans-Werner Braun hwb at upeksa.sdsc.edu
Fri Apr 15 22:54:49 UTC 1994

>This belief is probably justified given current technology.  Our Chemistry
>department reported that they renumbered 20 workstations, and it was a
>week before anybody involved got any useful work done.  One shudders to
>think what this means if extrapolated to the global Internet.

The problem is that there are many things that can be easily
overlooked. I believe if done right, renumbering 20 workstations in a
single department is a no-brainer. However, what it would require is
some cheat sheet of things that can be easily overlooked. Some recipe
of how to do it right.

I still believe renumbering what we reasonably can is well worth it and
people should be encouraged to do so. But we *will* hit the kind of
attitudes that Marty is pointing out, no doubt. Have seen my share of
it already (e.g., net 35). I guess the question is whether we will try
to make the best of it, expecting that while people prefer to be lazy,
but even more prefer to be good citizens, whether we cut our losses and
move to NSAPs or so, or whether we are just gonna let the network just
go to hell.

Hans-Werner