[Nanog-futures] New Membership-WG Draft

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Oct 29 21:23:43 UTC 2010

On 10/29/10 2:02 PM, Steve Gibbard wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Joe Provo wrote:
>
>>> 2) I'm not sure how happy I am to see student memberships gone.  I like
>>> the idea that a student could pay a reduced fee to be a member, yes I do
>>> realize that the student can still attend the meeting without membership.
>>
>> I'll be more firm; I'm not happy.
>

> This seems like a fairly fundamental question of vision to me.

The lack of a separate class of membership for students does not have
anything whatsoever to do with the educational mission or vision of NANOG.

The lack of a separate class of membership for students does not prevent
or discourage discounted or even free dues for students.

The lack of a separate class of membership for students does not bar or
discourage students from attending NANOG events or prevent discounted or
even free admission to such events.

It simply eliminates a separate hard-coded-in-the-bylaws class of member.

In some ways, not having a separate class of membership puts students
who are NANOG members on a more equal footing.  It eliminates, "Oh,
you're just a student member, not a FULL member like the rest of us."

This was kicked around quite a but in the WG.  Originally there were
classes of membership for students, life members, and "Fellows" in
addition to regular members.  None had any true distinction in terms of
defined rights and privileges.   The only defined distinguishing factor
was related to dues.  It was decided to reduce the number of classes of
member to one and let NANOG's elected representatives set the dues
structure outside of the definition of who is a member.

There is strong support of discounted membership dues for students and I
support the continuance of discounted student fees for meeting
attendance despite the marginal cost increase for the non-students.

This isn't a vision thing.  It is a means to, as someone else suggested,
reduce to a minimum the number of used words to define membership.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net