[Nanog-futures] 2010.06.13 NANOG49 community meeting notes

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Jun 14 02:20:39 UTC 2010

As these apply more to the nanog-meta-discussion, I'm posting them
here.  If people feel they might be applicable for the general membership,
let me know, and I'll post them there as well.

Matt

2010.06.13 NANOG 49 community meeting

NOTES:
[I just want to say the IPv6 hi-def stream was
*wonderful* to watch this time around--thanks
to the people who pulled that off!]

Steve Feldman calls the room to order at 1753 hours
Pacific time.

Welcome to NANOG 49 community meeting.

AGENDA:
steering comitte report
program comittee report
communications committee report
marketing working group report
merit report
transition update

Steve Feldman, Dave Meyer, Mike Smith, Chris Quesada,
Andy Resnzweig,
transition team

Steering committee report -- steve feldman
blue badge folks
steve feldman, patrick gilmore, sylvie lapierre, david,
joe, andy, robert, mike, duane

highlights since nanog 48
marketing working on additional sponsorships
all but one breakfast break sold out (or one break,
period), fullest yet.
Postel scholarships being worked on, 6/20 is
deadline, after which they decide who gets to come
to the fall meeting, and educate people back home.

Welcome mike smith, new program committee chair,
some condolences given.

Preparation for this and future meetings worked on,
hosts and contracts through end of 2011 now, will
soon start on 2012.

Working on transition stuffs as well.

After nanog49,
will work on finalizing Postel scholarship
continue momentum on marketing sponsorships
check out the collaboration room
work on 2011/2012, transition work

Mailing lists:
nanog at nanog.org main operations list
nanog-futures at nanog.org meta-discussions about NANOG
nanog-attendee at nanog.org meeting attendees only
nanog-support at nanog.org
steering at nanog.org
nanogpc at nanog.org
admins at nanog.org
marketing at nanog.org

David Meyer
Program Committee
nanogpc at nanog.org
Committee members:
cathy, nina, larry, jim, tom, brian, igor, barry, mike,
mohit, sylvie, david, chris, kevin, dani, sonia, tom,
Richard

Lots of submissions for this meeting, hard to fit
them in; if you want lots of statistics about that,
bug a PC member.  :D

Communications Committee Report
Randy Epstein
Joe, Kris, Sue, Michael, Tim,
6 out of 600 messages moderated, 3 people with
posting privs revoked.
Look for red stickers to talk to them, or email
admins at nanog.org

Any questions?
Q via AIM: is there a jabber room or other way for
people to ask questions remotely?
A: We'll defer that to the communications committee...
uh, no jabber room, but that's simply because there
is no mandate yet...so, RS volunteers to watch AIM
for questions, IM him at ke4djt with your questions

Marketing working group
Greg Dendy
members:
Greg, Patrick, Misako, Christopher, Andy, DAve, Carol,

Schedule is full of sponsorships, breaks, beer and gear,
etc.

Marketing group goes out and tries to solicit sponsors
from vendors, member companies, etc.
Also set up the vendor collaboration room; visit it,
see what's there, put cards in, and enter for door
prizes.

marketing at nanog.org

Merit report, Andy
Thanks to NANOG host, Netflix, esp. to Dave Temkin,
and his help on finding sponsors.

Netflix is also providing IP bandwidth, Internet2
provided access points,
Sponsors provided food, as well as beer and gear.

Merit team
Larry Blunk, David Gilbertson, Sue Joiner,
Dawn Khan, Carol Wadsowrth, Michael Zawacki

Nanog48 -- Austin stats, (vs SFO)
452 total, 561 total in SFO, up to 580
353 Paid (466)
99 waived (host, sponsor, presenter, Merit on-site staff (95)
125 newcomers (28%)

NANOG48, just about break even financially.

NANOG50, Atlanta, TelX, with ARIN
NANOG51, Miami, Terremark
NANOG52, Denver, Alcatel-Lucent

Web site and mailing list will have brief outage this
summer as servers are relocated; date/time to be announced.

NANOG transition.
A long-term vision for the NANOG community

Will give an overview tonight, and then tomorrow will
dig more into nitty gritty details.

Rules of engagement
thanks to Sylvie for putting the slides together.
SC wishes to present a long-term vision to the NANOG
  community
Sundy, short meeting
Monday at BOF, much longer presentation

The NANOG now
proposed mission
proposed status and governance

Now--provides forum for sharing of knowledge, information,
and education for north american inteernet opererations
community.

we do that through big conferences like this, and through
mailing lists.
merit does hosting of mailing list machines, etc.
NANOG is an activity of Merit Networks, a 501(c)3
non-profit corporation, which limits some of the
activities they can engage in.
Merit's primary responsibility is to their membership,
which has implications on what NANOG can do.

NANOG has migrated towards self-governance, starting
in 2005 with the new charter.

milestones
 created program committee
 created communications committee to handle mailing lists
 created marketing working group, to work towards sustainable
  funding.

Why change?
working self-governance model, but limited ability to act.
Desire to contain changes within Merit's budget cycles
 July1 to June 30
  Current merit fiscal includes N47, 48, 49
  Merit has hotel contracts for N50, N51 hotels

So, this is trying to coordinate with Merit's
 June 30th budget cutover for next year.

Believe it is time for NANOG to become autonomous
 independent legal entity
 indepedent funding
 financial management and control
 members as owners
  (NANOG members, rather than Merit members)

Brief flow chart that doesn't fit all the way on
the screen.
Legal status, will move to NewNOG, Inc, a new 501(c)3
non-profit corporation
it will get a new board of directors
Funding will move to membership funding, and activity
 based sponsorships, with a goal to have more general
 sponsorship as well as specific activity based sponsorship
Financial reporting will move to Financial accountability
 to the community; currently, just another item on the
 general Merit books, without separate accounting.
Staffing will shift from Merit Staff to limited paid
 staff and contracted services

Steve notes Merit has done a wonderful job with the staffing,
this is not a reflection on their handling of the staffing
to date.

New staffing will be executive director, one or two paid
staff, most contracted out; don't need dedicated staff
to run three meetings a year.

Proposed Mission statement stays the same.
keep organizing conferences, and running mailing list.
Believe to expand into other areas; jabber room for
 online interaction
 publications, certifications, moving towards a group
  of professionals aimed at educating members.

Governance--newNOG Inc, is a new, non-profit corporation
which has been created; it is a transitional entity,
it is not expected to exist in 2 or 3 years once the
transfer of intelllectual property details are worked
out.

Board of Directors consists of 6 elected steering
committee members right now; eventually will mirror
current leadership.

Want to increase membership by decoupling membership
 from meeting attendance.

Funding by
 Membership
 sponsor organizations/Contributors

Membership:
bootstrap:
 current NANOG voting membership population
  (those of you here, and those who have attended
   meeting in the past year)
 parallel vote to be held October, 2010
  quite a bit of work still ahead of us
 Fill expiring NewNOG board seats
 Ratify NewNOG by-laws

this is a model for handling the transition, not
necessarily the final model.

This is the time to bring up concerns, questions, etc.
over the next few days.

Some other ideas being discussed
bigger membership--people who would like to vote, who
are active on the mailing list, but are unable to attend
meetings
Annual paid dues of some form?
discounted memberships for students?
Members get voting rights in NewNOG elections
possible meeting discounts, subscription plans
future benefits to be decided by community

Conferences:
 revise sponsorship and hosting model
 hotel contract negotiation via agent
 contracted registration management
 contracted onsite logistics (wireless network,
  etc)

Mailing-lists
 contracted hosting
 keep community mangement

contracted/outsourced with performance obligations

Timeline that is proposed:
Merit runs the meetings through NANOG51, and NewNOG
would take over NANOG52, in Denver.
Merit will finish out the existing hotel contracts.
Red line in October when election will be held, and
all this will try to happen.
Denver meeting, NewNOG would take over the running
of the meeting; possibly contract Merit to handle
outsourcing for that meeting.

NANOG53, explore other vendors, see what other
approaches to hosting the meeting may arise; Merit
may bid in competitive bidding status for those
meetings.

NewNOG has contract for NANOG52.
ARIN signed contract for NANOG53 hotel, many thanks
to ARIN for going out on that limb.
2012, planning will start shortly.

How can you shape the vision
Join the governance WG--Steve Gibbard, Dave Barak, Betty Burke
Join the membership WG--Kris Foster, Bill Woodcock, Ren Provo
Join the Funding/Sponsorship ($$$) WG --Chris Quesada
Join the Finance/Budget WG--Dan Golding, Todd Underwood,
  Tom Daly, Sylvie LaPierre
Join the Conference/Event Planning WG -- Open/Executive
Join the Technical Transition Services WG -- Richard
 Steenberger, Rob Seastrom, Tom Scholl

If you'd like to volunteer, talk to any of the people
listed, or send email to board at newnog.org

Would like to give Dawn and opportunity to say a
few words while Bill stands and waits.

Dawn, many of you saw his posting on nanog-futures.
Many at Merit think they can run NANOG very well;
if they wanted to fight it, they'd have to fight
with the people who run the community; so they've
decided to help with the transition; they'd like
to avoid debate with community members, and will
work to support it as best as they can.

Steve Feldman notes it's a disagreement among friends
as to whether it's the right move, but both sides agree
that it's best to approach it civilly.

Q: Will term limits of NANOG carry over to NewNOG?