[Nanog-futures] Membership, was Transition update

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sat Jun 12 00:20:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Hypothetically speaking, if I were currently engaged in this business,
> I'd pay. Both for the ability to ask questions and the ability to be asked
> questions by a sensible group of people with similar goals (ie, non-trolling)
> in mind[1].

And to follow up on my follow-up - too often have I seen people comment on
the apparently occasional lack of clue that shows up, after you filter out
the noisy stuff. Another possibility is nanog-help, where netadmins -can- ask
dumb questions and get some community feedback.

I also believe having a "clue distilled" service available to mailing list
members would be really helpful. Sometimes forums get turned into that - ie,
helpful posts get voted up (by clueful people who know what they're doing);
then you can craft forum queries to pull out questions that have been answered
highly. That could be another paid service. I've had quite positive feedback
from when I occasionally manually do this from the nanog-ml contents.

(another) 2c,

Adrian