[Nanog-futures] Membership, was Transition update

Chris Caputo ccaputo at alt.net
Fri Jun 11 18:12:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Sean Figgins wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't 501c status take about 18 months
> to get?

One data point: the SIX's 501(c)(6) application was mailed on 7/3/2008 and
was approved by the IRS on 9/11/2008, so it took just a little over 2
months.

A 501(c)(3) may take more time since it involves charitable deductions and
is likely to be the most scrutinized type of 501(c), but the initial form
letter we received from the IRS appeared to suggest that any 501(c)
application would take about 60 days to be reviewed, unless additional
documentation/justification gets requested.

Chris