[Nanog-futures] Transition update

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Jun 3 17:00:33 UTC 2010

If
> the Merit staff assigned to NANOG were 100% dedicated to NANOG, this
> conflict wouldn't exist.

I've been working with the SC as part of the transition team, but I am
not a member of the BoD, so this is not an official proclamation in any
capacity.  I don't think it's wise to pre-suppose what will happen on
the Merit side.  They will be represented at the Community Meeting at
NANOG 49 and any questions about their intentions, motivations and
perceptions about the change are best held until that meeting.

There is a lot of work going on in the background in preparation for the
transition itself and the upcoming NANOG.  Real work is being
accomplished on key components of the transition, including but not
limited to a budget, 501(c)(3) status, the structure of the new
organization and its membership, as well as cogent answers to all of the
questions that have been posted to -futures in the last weeks.  All of
the concerns raised in -futures are being discussed and will be
addressed to the best of everyone's ability at the Community Meeting.
Personally, I think this is preferable to multiple back and forth
discussions on the -futures list, given that there is a lot of overlap
of questions and concerns that can all be addressed in one shot when we
all meet face to face.

My .02, worth every penny.

Regards,
Mike