[Nanog-futures] Transition update

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed Jun 2 23:31:11 UTC 2010

joel jaeggli wrote:
> Um insofar as I'm aware Andy Rosenzweig is still the Marit member on the
> SC, I generally assume that we he states his opinion or merit's position
> that he is doing so in his capacity as merit's representative on the SC.

That's my point.  Merit has numerous people working on NANOG, but as far
as I know they don't have staff 100% dedicated to NANOG (1).  As a
result, if NANOG separates from Merit, they'll have to reorganize their
staff across the remaining Merit activities, likely leading to a few
layoffs.  Therefore, in the interest of not laying people off, Merit
won't want to let NANOG go independent.  Hence, the skin in the game,
and a strong reason they won't speak objectively about NANOG's separation.

pt

[1]  Betty Burke has said on multiple occasions that Merit doesn't want
NANOG to occur in late June, as it conflicts with Merit's year-end.  If
the Merit staff assigned to NANOG were 100% dedicated to NANOG, this
conflict wouldn't exist.