[Nanog-futures] Media at NANOG conferences

Sean Figgins sean at labrats.us
Wed Jul 16 14:55:43 UTC 2008

Philip Smith wrote:

> NANOG Media Proposal
> --------------------
>
> Once the media request has been approved, their attendance at NANOG
> will be by complimentary registration and they will receive a special
> badge with "MEDIA" written in large letters which they should please
> wear when in circumstances where their role is not otherwise obviously
> known.  They will be appointed a guide by the NANOG Steering
> Committee.  This guide will help ensure that their experience at NANOG
> is effective and beneficial to both NANOG and the organisation or
> publication represented.

I would suggest replacing the term "they will receive a special badge
with "MEDIA" written in large letters which they should please wear when
in circumstances where their role is not otherwise obviously known,"
with something like "they will receive a special badge with "MEDIA"
written in large letters which they MUST wear while covering the
conference."

I am sure that the obviousness of their status is up for interpretation,
and I think that the membership would rather have explicit knowledge
that they are talking to a member of the media, rather than just another
attendee.  Having "MEDIA" in big red flashing letters would help, but it
would also probably be annoying and not feasible.

  -Sean