[Nanog-futures] Bhutan discovers the "NANOG Problem"...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jul 15 21:09:16 UTC 2008

It's a community full of high-functional Asberger's sufferers... As are
a lot of engineering disciplines. It's hard to assert that they aren't
paying attention without testing that hypothesis. Given the quantity of
feedback that we receive about the quality of the program from people
who are alleged to not be paying attention, I would conclude otherwise.

Even though they can't interact all that well outside of the network engineering field (I had to look up Asberger's Syndrome :-) some folks can walk and chew gum at the same time, too...

Nothing like being the guy standing up there and 1/2 of the
audience not paying attention.  I'd rather they not show up at all.

The presenters should be ready for the crowd they're presenting to and not be offended by it.  That's who we are.  Heck, even some of the presenters are like that.

If you are so important that you need to be working while listening,
stay in your hotel room and listen via the net feed.  That will allow
you to talk on the phone at the same time.

This isn't the case.  Phone use during presentations is Bad.  Computer use during presentations is OK.  IMHO.

scott