[Nanog-futures] blacklists getting out of hand?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Nov 29 00:39:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:30:23AM -0800, Lynda wrote:
> I'm hoping that this just gets through. For two or three years, I've
> been relaying all deaddrop.org email through pair.com, which has
> apparently made it onto mail-abuse's blacklists.

1. I'm surprised; pair.com has had a pretty good reputation for a number
of years as being very spam-intolerant.  But mail-abuse.org is pretty
conservative about listings, so *something* must have triggered this.

2. A very cursory check also shows listings for pair.com mail systems
on the DNSBL at backscatterer.org.

3. Have you taken this up with pair.com?  If they're showing up on
multiple blacklists, then it's unlikely that all those blacklists are
making the same mistake or using the same policies.  It's much more
likely that pair.com is doing something wrong (or not doing something
they should be), and that one by one, the blacklists are noticing.

---Rsk